Updated September 20, 2022
Everyone has the right to move freely to enjoy the sunshine or a family outing. With the best lightweight foldable mobility scooters – everyday activities will be easier and more enjoyable. Lightweight and folding mobility scooters are an ideal option for seniors who enjoy traveling and an active lifestyle. If you have an injury that prevents you from moving or if you only want some additional support – a mobility scooter is a convenient option to enjoy your life. This type of scooter is easy to transport in a passenger car since it is lightweight and fully folded or allows for quick and easy disassembly.
If you’re looking for an easy way to travel, a folding lightweight mobility scooter might be the perfect solution for you. These scooters are small and easy to fold up, which makes them perfect for taking with you on trips. They are also very affordable, which makes them a great option for budget-minded travelers. In this blog post, we will discuss the benefits of using a folding lightweight mobility scooter when traveling. We will also provide tips for choosing the right folding lightweight mobility scooter for your needs
Lightweight folding mobility scooters can be easily transported anywhere, whether you drive the road or simply plan an adventure trip. Many mobility scooters models are excellent for both indoor and outdoor use.
It is a good idea to do some research before buying the best folding lightweight mobility scooters. We have explored a variety of these mobility scooters to narrow down the options for you and came up with some of the best lightweight foldable mobility scooters.
- Porto Mobility Ranger D09 Lightweight Foldable Mobility Scooter (Weatherproof) Exclusive Electric Wheelchair, Portable, Brushless Powerful Motors, Dual Battery, All Terrain (Silver, Standard)
- EV Rider Transport AF+ – Automatic Folding Scooter with Remote Lithium Power Mobility (Burgundy Red)
- Intelligent Lightweight Foldable Electric Wheelchair
- EV Rider Award Winning Transport AF+ Auto Folding Scooter (New Model)
- Fold and Travel Mobility Scooters for Adults 4 Wheel Long Range Mobility Scooter Electric Wheelchair Power (Silver)
- Vive 4 Wheel Mobility Scooter – Electric Powered Wheelchair Device
- Porto Mobility Ranger D09 Lightweight Foldable Mobility Scooter (Weatherproof) Exclusive Electric Wheelchair, Portable, Brushless Powerful Motors, Dual Battery, All Terrain (Silver, Standard)
- Porto Mobility Ranger D09 Lightweight Foldable Scooter
- WISGING Scooter Mobility Folding Electric Mobility Scooter [3 Wheel]
- EV Rider Transport Folding Mobility Scooter
- Sentire Med Deluxe Electric Wheelchair for Adults
- MiniRider Folding Mobility Scooter
- Pride Go-Go Folding Scooter
- What to Consider When Buying Folding Mobility Scooters
- Final Words On Mobility Scooters
- Comparison of Lightweight Foldable Mobility Scooters
Best Lightweight Foldable Mobility Scooters
1. EV Rider Transport AF+ – Automatic Folding Scooter with Remote Lithium Power Mobility (Burgundy Red)
- Foldable: Automatic folding and unfolding with one touch on a remote control
- Ease of Use: Use at home, shopping and traveling in hotels, cruises and or airports
- Ease of Storage: Can be stowed upright in any closet or corner
- Powerful: Powered by 11.5Ah lithium battery, powerful 270 watt 4-pole motor, articulated front end adds to greater stability, LED headlight; height adjustable tiller; key ignition; dual hand two way throttle control,10 to 15 mile range per charge
- Lightweight: 49 lbs, compact size: 17.3″ x 16.5″ x 28.7″, good for travel
Compact (Net Weight 43 lbs) Power Wheelchair, Portable Folding Carry Wheelchairs, Durable Wheelchair (12.6 x 22 x 28)
- Safety: safety features include a 360-degree joystick, solidly stable front and rear wheels, a foldable foot rest, dural motors, and extremely durable construction.
- Simplicity: Using an innovative joystick design and an updated electric magnetic breaking system, this wheelchair gives you superior motion control and allows for quick stopping. It’s adjustable anti-leaning rear design also keeps it perfectly stable. Also with the separate 2 high performance lithium battery design, keep left one side battery running for the chair and customers can backup 2nd battery charged outside.
- Lightweight and Foldable: Being built with an aviation aluminum frame and weighing only 50 lbs, this power wheelchair is durable and incredibly lightweight. It’s also easy to fold in 3 seconds, making it perfect to travel with and store for later.
- Stability and Comfort: Thanks to the unique 7.5cm thick seat cushion (with seat belt), it’s extremely comfortable and prevents against seat depression and bedsores, as well as protecting the caudal, lumbar, and neck vertebra from twisting.
Newly Updated w/4 Wheels, Remote and 11.5 Battery – Ultralight Compact Long Range – Blue
- Safety: New Dual Front Wheel Design. Actuator Lock as a safety feature to prevent the scooter from folding while the rider is on it.
- High Performance: Updated 11.5 Ah Lithium Battery gives you longer range up to 10 miles
- Economical: On/Off switch on the side of the scooter helps save battery power
- Easy to Use: Key Fob allows Automatic Folding Operation in seconds
- Ultimate Portability: Compact (Folded: 28.7″ x 17.5″ x16.5″) and ultralight (44 lbs), Airline-friendly.
4. Fold and Travel Mobility Scooters for Adults 4 Wheel Long Range Mobility Scooter Electric Wheelchair Power (Silver)
- Lightweight and Strong: This Portable lightweight Mobility Scooter wheelchair uses the aircraft grade carbon steel frame that is light and durable, it weighs only 55 lbs. It is the lightest model in this mobility scooters category, yet it can hold up to 330 lbs of passenger weight.
- Long Range: Battery Gets Up to 28 km / 17 Miles in Driving Distance. The Lithium battery is Airline Friendly and Allowed for Transport on an Airplane with certified high quality worldwide usable charger.
- Hi-Tech: This Folding Lightweight Power Mobility Scooter is equipped with Brushless Wheelchair Motor Technology.
- Comfortable: It has Premium Leather Seat.
- Suitable For All Terrains: Never Fail You on Grass, Ramp, Brick, Muddy, Snow, Bumpy Roads
Compact Heavy Duty Mobile for Travel, Adults, Elderly – Long Range Power Extended Battery with Charger and Basket Included
- Works on All Terrains: Easily maneuver over smooth indoor surfaces and rough outdoor surface with the Vive Four-Wheel Mobility Scooter—with comfort and ease. Designed to safely support up to 265 pounds, the mobility scooter and its tires were engineered for durability and safety. Its easy-grip tires are flat-free, non-marking, and 8”. Its maximum speed is 3.7mph, and it has a driving distance up to 12.4 miles per charge.
- Comfortable: Comfortably padded, the wide, 15.75” seat and backrest provide gentle cushioning and support. The swivel seat rotates, allowing you to more easily step off it without aggravating back pain. The height-adjustable can easily be adjusted with the push of a lever, for a customizable fit. Additionally, the scooter seat is surrounded by two padded armrests that adjust and flip upward—for greater convenience when exiting or boarding.
- Easy To Carry and Transport: Quickly disassemble the Vive mobility scooter into four separate pieces for easy portability. Featuring a folding tiller and removable seat, each section easily fits in the trunk of standard size vehicles. The rear section weighs only 29 pounds and is the heaviest of the four pieces.
- Intuitive Control Panel: Located on the tiller console, the control panel allows you to set the maximum speed with the variable speed dial, change from a forward to a reverse direction, turn on the headlight as well as produce a warning tone as needed. The display also includes a color-coded battery life indicator for checking the status of the battery at a glance.
Read also: Best Featherweight Wheelchair
Weatherproof Exclusive Electric Wheelchair, Portable, Brushless Powerful Motors, Dual Battery, All Terrain (Silver, Standard)
- Lightweight and Heavy Duty: This Award Winning Portable Power Wheelchair folds in 3 seconds. It’s Heavy Duty, Super Lightweight and Compact – only 13” high when folded, can fit in compact car trunks. Both armrests raise up and footrest fold up flush for easy entry and exit. This top of the line Power Wheelchair has a 400 Lb passenger Weight Capacity And itself Only Weighs 50 lbs. It is made with High Strength Aircraft Quality Aluminum Alloy. It has Weather-resistant finish making it convenient to drive it outdoors as well.
- Side Batteries: Slide in Dual Side Batteries – you can pop out quickly if needed when transporting. Lithium-Ion, Safe, Dry, filled up with the highest quality cells, these batteries provide extra distance up to 20 miles. You could go to Amusement Parks , drive all day long and still have much battery left to use. It is Airline Approved. Off board charge cord is a bonus allowing you to charge the batteries without the chair as well.
- Powerful Motor: World Class real 250W Brushless Dual motors enormous torque & power and will challenge any road type , and climb up steep hills. It will smoothly ride through grass, gravel, mud, dirt, snow and even some sandy surface. Electromagnetic brakes ensure safety.
- Small Turning Radius: Only 32 inches – Gets around tight areas easily perfect for indoor use, will fit through any door. It is responsive and allows excellent steering. With the NEW 360 degree Joystick, not only can you drive your Ranger Wheelchair with just one finger, you can also navigate your Ranger Power Chair into tight spaces that require sensitive turning abilities! It literally turns on a dime. Joystick can also be operated by a Caregiver with a bracket.
- Fully Assembled: Power Chair is one of a very rare category you need a professional and responsive customer service, backing you up even when you are overseas. No need to worry about who or where would service. Upon a request, the company can send you professional technicians to your house when you need service.
Lightweight Portable Power Travel Scooters – Support 280 lbs Weight Only 56 lbs Long Range(12.8 Miles)
- Foldable and Lightweight: WISGING C09B Folding Scooter Mobility Weighs Only 56 lbs with Battery. Its Unique Design allows it to Fold Quickly. It is about the size of a Suitcase and is Very Convenient for Storage and Travel.
- Very Durable: WISGING C09B Folding Scooter Mobility is Equipped with 8AH Lithium Battery. It can travel up to 12.8 Miles when the battery is Fully Charged. It has Three 8-inch Wheels, the Front Wheels are Equipped with Excellent Shock Absorption System, making it More Stable.
- Reverse Gear: WISGING C09B Folding Scooter Mobility compared to other scooters has an advantage that it has a Reverse Gear, which allows you to Adjust your Driving Position Easily. Even in Crowded Conditions, you can maneuver easily.
- Stronger Climbing and Braking: WISGING C09B Folding Mobility Scooter‘s Motor is powerful and This New Scooter can Easily Climb Up a 15 Degree Steep Hill. It is also Equipped with Better Electro-Magnetic Brakes. Release the Throttle and it Stops Immediately.
- Easy to Carry and Transport: WISGING C09B Folding Scooter Mobility can Fold Up in Three Seconds. Compact Size after Folding makes it Fit Easily in the Trunk of your Car, and this Scooter can be taken on the airplane, making it Very Suitable for Travel.
The EV Rider Mobility Scooter folds up to a very compact size and its design is ideal for very active seniors who love to travel a lot. You can easily place the scooter into most cars without any problem.
To charge the batteries, it takes about four to six hours. These batteries offer a range of 10 to 15 miles per charge.
To help absorb impacts, the seat is supplied with a high-density foam cushion. This lightweight mobility scooter also has backrest. When driving the scooter, the backrest will give you additional support.
EV Rider Transport Folding Mobility Scooter is rear-wheel drive. This feature will help the seniors to move easily even on small inclines. Its electromagnetic braking system is also good. Seniors typically find this brake easy to use even with limited hand dexterity.
600 W Peak Power Motor – Ultra Lightweight Design Foldable, Compact and Portable – Ideal Motorized Mobility Solution for Travel and All Terrain Use
- Ultra Portable: Weighing a modest 67 lbs when loaded with two batteries, this ultra lightweight electric wheelchair is designed to go wherever the adventure takes you. The clever motorized folding power chair features a smart folding design for easier transport. This portable wheelchair lightweight folding solution also features foldable padded footrest and armrests for extra comfort, compact for trunk space
- Powerful and Suitable for All Terrain: This all terrain wheelchair features a generous five inch ground clearance, allowing you to explore new destinations and go further with your travel wheelchair. With two 300 W peak brushless motors and a sharp turning radius, this premium folding wheelchair is built to go the distance
- Strong and Solid Design: This electric wheelchair from Sentire Med features a rock solid design with a lightweight durable aluminum frame. The electric wheelchairs for adults feature anti-tip wheels and 4 comfort suspension springs designed for all terrain. When you need a lightweight folding wheelchair that will hold up under any conditions, choose Sentire Med.
- Quality Control: Each portable wheelchair has undergone stringent quality inspection and hundreds of hours of development with leading mobility experts. The power wheelchair is crafted to the highest standards.
- Everything Included: This wheelchair for adults includes two TSA approved batteries, fast charger, a cup holder, cane hook as well as a side storage bag. Better still, Sentire Med’s lightweight electric wheelchair also comes with a backrest pocket and travel bag. You also get our A+ customer service with your purchase.
The MiniRider Folding Mobility Scooter folds completely. It is a good option for older people who want a lightweight scooter.
It comes with an electromagnetic braking system. Older people can easily use automatic brakes, even if they have arthritis in their hands.
MiniRider folding mobility scooter is equipped with a removable battery pack that offers about 9 miles per charge. From smooth pavement to thick carpets, seniors can drive on many types of surfaces without any problem. To control the speed the it has a control level that can be pressed and released with just a little effort.
The frame is made of aluminum and prevents rusting with extended use. The anti-tip wheels add extra stability and safety to this scooter when driving. It has puncture-proof tires. The rear wheels propel this mobility scooter due to the drive system.
The Pride Go-Go Folding Scooter is a lightweight yet highly functional mobility device that folds down to become very compact. This scooter has headlights and taillights. It also offers a high level of stability.
You can fold up this scooter quickly without the need to disassemble any parts. You can choose between battery options. With the standard battery included, you can travel approximately 9 miles per charge. With the optional Lithium battery (additional charge) you can travel approximately 12.5 miles per charge. Both are light-weight and you can charge them off board.
This best lightweight foldable mobility scooter is ideal for most seniors due to its tight turning radius and its relatively small size. The Pride Go-Go Folding Scooter drives smoothly over most surfaces.
Seniors can easily steer and operate the controls, even if they have neuropathy or arthritis in their hands.
The sides of the Pride Go-Go folding scooter are equipped with anti-tippers which offers additional stability to the scooter when in motion.
This product may not be available, please try the other alternatives mentioned in this article.
What to Consider When Buying Folding Lightweight Mobility Scooters
Before buying a lightweight and folding mobility scooter, you must consider several factors. It will help the seniors choose the best mobility scooter for their mobility and independence.
A folding lightweight mobility scooter typically supports 250 to 350 pounds on average. The design is made for portability, so they usually are best for those who are lighter. Weigh yourself before buying a scooter to ensure that you choose the right weight capacity.
Before buying a lightweight mobility scooter, you need to ensure that your scooter can easily maneuver in the environments where you will use it. For example, if your home is small, look for a scooter with a reduced turning radius. This ability will make it easy to get through the doors and tight corners.
These mobility scooters are perfect for those who wish to take their scooter with them for shopping, errands, and other similar tasks. These scooters generally have a travel distance of approximately nine miles on a single battery charge.
If you want to go for extensive traveling, you can get a backup battery. You can take someone with you to carry this, or if the mobility scooter battery is small enough, it can put it into a basket on your scooter.
If you rely on your scooter to travel most of the time, you need a comfortable seat. You can consider upgrading to a version with more padding. For added comfort, you can also look for upholstery accessories, such as pillows attached to the seat.
This type of lightweight scooter is best for smooth surface environments. The folding scooters wheels are special and it will not scratch the floors or leave marks.
They also move smoothly over the click mat with ease so you don’t get stuck. If you drive outdoors frequently, you may consider buying a folding scooter with larger wheels. This feature makes it easier to cross uneven terrain with fewer potholes.
Assembly And Portability
Seniors should make sure that they can fold and unfold this scooter easily. You must think about this portability feature because older people with mobility problems may not have to help hands to tackle this problem.
You also need to consider seniors can lift the scooter when it is folded. That means it should be lightweight enough to lift. It will help them to get the foldable mobility scooter in and out of your vehicle.
Mobility Scooters Wheels
Lightweight folding mobility scooters usually have smaller wheels. This feature makes it a better option for smooth surfaces, such as those found at home or in a store.
When driving outdoors, the wheels may not absorb shock well. This problem could create difficulties for the elderly.
Accessories And Options
To make your scooter more convenient and personalized, you can often add extra options and accessories to your mobility scooter. For example, some scooters allow you to switch to a battery that has a longer life.
If you often drive outside or spend a lot of time on your scooter, you may consider moving to a seat with more padding. This feature will provide more comfort when traveling on your scooter. Other accessories and common options include:
- Crutch or cane holders
- Cup holders
- Sidearm bags for extra storage
- Oxygen tank holders
What is a Folding Mobility Scooter?
A folding mobility scooter is a battery-powered device that helps people with mobility issues get around. They are also known as power scooters or electric scooters.
Folding mobility scooters typically have three or four wheels, a seat, and a handlebar. Some models also come with a basket or storage area. They are easy to operate and can be used on sidewalks, streets, and in most public places.
Folding mobility scooters offer many benefits for people with mobility issues. They provide independence and allow people to get around without having to rely on others for transportation. They are also very convenient because they can be easily folded up and transported in a car or van.
There are two main types of folding mobility scooters: three-wheel and four-wheel models. Three-wheel models are more maneuverable but may tip over more easily than four-wheel models. Four-wheel models are more stable but may be less maneuverable than three-wheel models
How To Maintain Your Fold-Up Mobility Scooter
It is important to keep your scooter clean to prevent dirt and grime from building up and causing problems. You should wipe down your scooter with a damp cloth after each use. You can also use mild soap if needed. Be sure to avoid harsh chemicals or cleaners as they can damage the finish on your scooter.
How to store your scooter
When you are not using your scooter, it is important to store it properly. If you have a fold-up mobility scooter, you should always fold it down and store it in a dry, protected area. This will help prevent rust and other damage that can occur when the scooter is left out in the elements.
How to charge your scooter
It is important to keep your battery charged so that your mobility scooter will be ready to go when you need it. Most mobility scooters come with an onboard charger that can be plugged into a standard outlet. Simply plug the charger into the outlet and then into the charging port on the scooter.
How To Troubleshoot Your Folding Mobility Scooter
1. What to do if the scooter won’t fold or unfold:
If your scooter won’t fold or unfold, the first thing you should check is the battery. Make sure that the battery is properly charged. If it is, then check to see if there is something blocking the mechanism from working properly. Sometimes dirt or debris can get caught in the mechanism and prevent it from working correctly. If you can’t find anything blocking the mechanism, then it may be a problem with the folding mechanism itself and you will need to take it to a professional for repairs.
2. What to do if the scooter folds but won’t unlock:
If your scooter folds but won’t unlock, again, check the battery first to make sure that it is properly charged. If it is, then try moving the locking lever to see if that releases the lock. If not, then there may be something else preventing the locking mechanism from releasing such as dirt or debris. Again, if you can’t find anything blocking the mechanism, then it may be a problem with the folding mechanism itself and you will need to take it to a professional for repairs.
3. What to do if the scooter unfolds but won’t lock:
If your scooter unfolds but won’t lock, the first thing you should check is the battery to make sure that it is properly charged. If it is, then check to see if the locking lever is in the correct position. If not, then try moving the locking lever to see if that locks the scooter into place. If not, then there may be something else preventing the locking mechanism from engaging such as dirt or debris. Again, if you can’t find anything blocking the mechanism, then it may be a problem with the folding mechanism itself and you will need to take it to a professional for repairs.
4. What to do if the scooter won’t move:
If your scooter won’t move, again, check the battery first to make sure that it is properly charged. If it is, then check to see if there is something blocking the wheels from turning such as dirt or debris. If not, then there may be a problem with the motor or drive train and you will need to take it to a professional for repairs
Final Words On Folding Lightweight Mobility Scooters
Consider the above information to find the best lightweight foldable mobility scooter. Older people who have this type of scooter can enjoy and maintain their independence and can travel more often.
Comparison of Lightweight Foldable Mobility Scooters
|Lightweight Foldable Mobility Scooter||Product||Range||Weight Capacity||Price|
|Pride Go-Go Folding Scooter||12.5 miles||250 lb|
|MiniRider Folding Mobility Scooter||9 miles||253 lb|
|EV Rider Transport Folding Mobility Scooter||15 miles||250 lb|
From the Blog
- 8 Best 2-Seater Mobility ScootersUpdated October 26, 2022 Long rides with a scooter can be enjoyable. However, do you know what would…
- Top Rollators For 350 lb PersonUpdated October 25, 2022 We have created a short list of the top 2 Rollators for 350 lb…
- Best Folding Mobility Scooters For 350 lb (Pound) PersonUpdated October 25, 2022 Think you’re too big to ride a mobility scooter? Think again! There are some…
- Top 6 Folding Mobility Scooters For 300 Lb (Pound) PersonUpdated October 25, 2022 Based on your needs, folding mobility scooters can be essential in running your day-to-day…
- 8 Best Mobility Scooter Brands Available In The United StatesUpdated October 25, 2022 Buying a mobility scooter could be both an exhilarating and nerve-wracking process. You are…
- 5 Best Wheelchair Covers Updated October 25, 2022 What is a Wheelchair Cover? A wheelchair is a chair with rear wheels and…
- 5 Best Wheelchair Blankets Updated August 26, 2022 What are wheelchair blankets, and what do they do? A lap duvet is a…
- 10 Best Wheelchair Anti-Tippers Updated August 26, 2022 What is the purpose of wheelchair anti-tippers? For patients who have trouble walking, the…
- 5 Best Portable Wheelchair Lifts Updated August 26, 2022 What are the benefits of using a portable wheelchair lift? A lift wheelchair is for those…
For information purposes only. Not medical advice.